Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Wind storm

Last night we experienced a wind storm like I have never seen here. The winds were just howling and because the winds were blowing in the opposite direction that they usually blow, they were coming through our bedroom window. At about 3:00 this morning, I was woken up by rain hitting my face. I quickly shut the windows and then lay there in bed listening to the wind howl outside. I thought that our building was going to blow over. I cannot imagine being in a hurricane! This morning, I guess that the Windward side, North shore, and west side of the island were pretty much closed down because of power lines that were down and flooded roads. CRAZY!!! The schools in those areas are closed for the day. When I got to work this morning, there were rumors going around that the students were going to be released at 10:45--and sure enough, it is TRUE! But, in the email sent by our vice principal, it said that teachers still had to stay until 3:00 :( Come on, let us go, too. Well, not too long ago we got an email saying that we can leave at 12:30! YEA!!! Early release. It is interesting because there is not even any wind blowing now.

On a side note--and kind of sad, a bus was struck by lightning sometime this morning. I am not sure if anybody was hurt, but I know that lots of the busses are not running because of it--but only to certain areas on the island.

1 comment:

Pearcyfamilyfun said...

Hey Carabeara...Still waiting for those Thanksgiving photos!!! How are you??? Going crazy with anticipation??? Can't wait to see all those AWESOME blog entries after your Tonga visit!!! Talk to you soon,