Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tongan Christmas 2009

We were fortunate this year to be able to spend Christmas in Tonga. At first, I did not want to go, but I am glad that we all went. We had a good time, even though we were all suffering from stomach problems and spent a few days sick. Here are some highlights from our trip.



Ongo's uncle grows peanuts. I never knew how they grew and was excited to be able to pick some and eat them--they are really good raw-fresh out of the ground!



We had to spend two extra days in the main island of Tonga due to weather conditions making it difficult to fly to Vava'u. There was a hurricane that was headed our way, but luckily it fizzled out before it got to Tonga. It did dump a lot of rain on us, though.
While we were in Tongatapu, Ongo and I were able to go to the Temple, but we were not able to take any pictures because of the rain.







One of the main reasons Ongo wanted to go to Tonga was for a family reunion for his mom's side of the family. We enjoyed spending time with Ongo's family. Ongo has so many first cousins. It was fun to see them again and also to meet some that I did not get to meet last time.



One night at the reunion. some of the cousins and their kids performed Tongan dances. It was fun to watch and the kids were so cute. The boy on the right with the spear is Ongo's nephew, Elioni--he LOVES dancing!



Part of our Christmas dinner was puaka (pig). It was so yummy! We also ate lots of really good fish. I do not think that I have ever had such delicious fresh fish as I had in Tonga. It was SO good!



Of course, we also got to go out on a boat to explore some of the islands of Vava'u. That is my favorite thing. One day when we go to Tonga during the right time (June/July) I would like to go out and swim with the humpback whales that come around Vava'u every year. Tonga is only one of a few places in the world where you can actually swim with the whales. I think that would be neat!



We went back to Swallows Cave again this time. Caleb was afraid and did not want me to go in the water, but I did anyway:)



The water is so clear. I am always so amazed at how beautiful and unspoiled it is there.



This is the island where we stopped to swim and have lunch. It is called Nuku. It was cool because we had the whole island to ourselves (well, us and the extended family!)



Ongo and I went snorkeling and it was AMAZING! I cannot even describe how beautiful the reefs and fish are--it is absolutely breathtaking. I was glad to have an underwater camera this time to take pictures. These are just two of my favorite pictures. I like the bottom one because I was so excited to see a clown fish! Silly, I know, but I was excited to tell Caleb that I found Nemo!


5 comments:

star said...

Looks FABULOUS!!! I'm so glad you guys had a great trip. I love your new header! It's super cute.

Pearcyfamilyfun said...

Awesome!! Your last picture with Nemo looks like Dory is right behind him!!! I love it!! Can't wait to see more!!

Yumi said...

First off...I think your husband is CRAZY for coming to church on Sunday the day you got back!!! Although Caleb didn't seem a bit jet-lagged or tired! He got his first taste of primary when we brought the new ones up at the end of closing exercises! They all looked so excited and cute up front!
Looks like you had a great trip! The ocean and coral looked so beautiful-and the cave pic is INCREDIBLE!! Maybe the next time you go we'll tag along for a camp-out on a deserted island too! Love the picture of Caleb--I bet it was hard to say goodbye to those beaches and so much family!

Jeff and Carol forever!!!! said...

I love the pictures of my family. And my Tongan Family!!!! I can't wait until we go to Tonga some day. WE LOVE YOU GUYS!! And we are happy that you are home safe and sound even though you all had some sickness problems!! Love, Momma :)

Liesl said...

Cara, every time you talk about Tonga and post the pictures from that beautiful country, I think back to my wonderful summer in Tonga....Oh, the memories. I totally agree with you-the best fish I ever had was freshly cut and cooked in Tonga. And I had one of those pig thingys too. Have you had an umu (I think that is what it is, underground cooked food) yet? I am so excited for you to be able to go there! I have to pull out my pictures now and relive my time there. I hope your Christmas was wonderful!! Mine surely was.